Instructor Training Courses
Have you ever thought about becoming a mountain bike instructor or trail leader? Well you can train to be a qualified instructor by booking your course on the MountainBiking.ie website. The courses are accredited by SMBLA.
Click here to book your training course.
The SMBLA scheme is widely recognised as a model of best practice for mountain bike instruction in the UK and increasingly in Ireland. The SMBLA Scheme was developed by Scottish Cycling in conjunction with the Scottish Advisory Panel in Outdoor education. The SMBLA Scheme provides training and assessment in mountain biking and leadership skills. We give a brief outline here so as to give an overview of what the Scheme is about.
The SMBLA Trail Cycle Leader Award (TCL)
This is a Level Two Award (Level Two is the entry level) aimed at all people who want to become leaders for mountain biking. The TCL Award consists of a two day training course followed by a one day assessment. The course will be run under the auspices of the Scottish Mountain bike Leaders Award (SMBLA). Here is some information regarding this organisation and what your training path will be.
Pre course requirements
- Participants must be over 18 years old
- Have joined the SMBLA at a cost of £48 which gets you:
- The SMBLA Official Training Manual
- Course documentation
- Logbook sheets and route cards
- Forms to join British Cycling
- Have logged 20 recent mountain bike rides which must be sent to us at least a week before training
- Have read the SMBLA Training Manual
- Have your own bike which is fitted with a bike computer (in km) for use in the navigation section.
1. Suitable Mountain Bike (in good working condition)
2. Cycle helmet and gloves
3. Cycle computer in kilometres
4. Eye protection
5. Suitable clothing for a days cycle ride
6. Backpack, with spare clothing
7. Small tool kit, including pump and inner tubes
8. Food and drink (including lunch)
9. First aid kit
10. Permanent pen for writing on maps
11. Compass (maps will be provided)
12. SMBLA training manual and registration number.